Public Output from Research Activity
List of known arbitration institutions in Africa – Updated April 2020
- Emilia Onyema (ed) Rethinking the Role of African National Courts in Arbitration, Kluwer Law International, 2018, 417 pages.
- Emilia Onyema (ed), The Transformation of Arbitration in Africa: The Role of Arbitral Institutions, Kluwer Law International, 2016, 209 pages.
- Emilia Onyema, International Commercial Arbitration and the Arbitrator’s Contract, Routledge Cavendish, 2010, 257 pages.
Articles in Refereed Journals:
- Emilia Onyema, “African Participation in the ICSID System: Appointment and Disqualification of Arbitrators”, ICSID Review – Foreign Investment Law Journal (2020).
- -, “Reimagining the Framework for resolving Intra-African Commercial Disputes in the Context of the African Continental Free Trade Area Agreement”, World Trade Review (2019), pp 1-25.
- -, “Supportive attitude of English courts towards international commercial arbitration” (2019) Journal of Arab Arbitration, Vols 31 & 32, pp 5-11.
- -, “Regional Arbitration Institution for ECOWAS: Lessons from OHADA Common Court of Justice and Arbitration” (2014) Int’l ALR Issue 5, pp 99-111.
- -, “The Multi-door Court House (MDC) Scheme in Nigeria: a case study of the Lagos MDC”, (2013) vol 7 No 2 Apogee Journal of Business, Property & Constitutional Law, pp 96-129.
- -, “The New Ghana ADR Act 2010: A Critical Overview”, (2012) vol 28 no 1, Arbitration International”, pp 101-124.
- -, “A critique of the New 2009 Arbitration Law of Lagos State”, (2010) vol 2 no 5, Apogee Journal of Business, Property & Constitutional Law, pp 1-24.
- -, ‘Enforcement of Arbitral Awards in Sub-Sahara Africa’, (2010) vol 26 no 1, Arbitration International, pp 115-138 – translated into Chinese for a Chinese Journal in 2010.
- -, ‘The doctrine of Separability under Nigerian Law’, (2009) vol 1 no 1, Apogee Journal of Business, Property & Constitutional Law, pp 65-79.
- -, ‘Arbitration under the Ohada Regime’, (2008), vol 11 no 6, International Arbitration Law Review, pp 205-218.
- -, ‘Empirically Determined Factors in Appointing Arbitrators in International Commercial Arbitration’, (2007) vol 73 no.2, Arbitration 199 – 207.
- -, ‘The Role of the International Arbitral tribunal Secretary’, Vindobona Journal, (2005) vol 9 no 1, pp 99-110.
- -, ‘Selection of Arbitrators in International Commercial Arbitration’, (2005) vol 8 no 2, International Arbitration Law Review, pp 45-54.
- -, ‘Power Shift in International Commercial Arbitration Proceedings’, (2004) vol 14 nos1&2, Caribbean Law Review, pp 62-77.
- -, ‘Drafting an Effective Arbitration Agreement in International Commercial Contracts’, (2003) vol 7 no 2, Vindobona Journal, pp 277- 286.
- -, ‘The Use of Med-Arb in International Commercial Dispute Resolution’, (2001) vol 12 no 3-4, American Review of International Arbitration, pp 411- 423.
Chapter in Books/collections:
- Emilia Onyema, “OHADA Arbitration and Common Law African Countries”, in A. Ngwanza (ed), Vingt ans d’arbitrage OHADA: bilan et perspectives, LexisNexis, 2019, pages 427-441.
- -, “Shifts in Dispute Resolution Processes of West African States” in Moscati A, Roberts M, & Palmer M (eds) Comparative Dispute Resolution Research Handbook (Edward Elgar Publishing, 2020).
- -, “The Role of African Courts and Judges in Arbitration” in Onyema E (ed) Rethinking the Role of African National Courts in Arbitration, Kluwer Law International (Wolters Kluwer, 2018)
- -, “The Jurisdictional Tensions Between Domestic Courts and Arbitral Tribunals” in Menaker, Andrea (ed) International Arbitration and the Rule of Law: Contribution and Conformity, ICCA Congress Series No 19, Kluwer (2017) pp 481-500
- -, “Arbitration Institutions in Africa” in Emilia Onyema (ed), The Transformation of Arbitration in Africa: The Role of Arbitral Institutions, Kluwer Law International (2016), pp 15-43.
- -, “Introduction” in Emilia Onyema (ed), The Transformation of Arbitration in Africa: The Role of Arbitral Institutions, Kluwer Law International (2016), pp 1-11.
- -, “Commentary on the Arbitration Rules of the Lagos Regional Centre for International Commercial Arbitration”, in Mistelis L. & Shore L. (eds), 3rd edition, World Arbitration Reporter, (2015) Juris Publishers, USA (2015).
- -, “International Arbitration in the West African States”, a chapter in Lise Bosman (ed) Practitioners’ Guide to Arbitration in Africa, Kluwer, 2013.
- Emilia Onyema & Oluwaseye O Ayinla, “Online Negotiation and Mediation” in E Azinge & C Ani (eds) Principles of Negotiation and Mediation, NIALS Publ, 2012, pp 96-140.
- -, ‘Commentary on the arbitration rules of the Lagos Regional Centre for International Commercial Arbitration’, in L. Mistelis & L. Shore (eds), 2nd edition, World Arbitration Reporter, Juris Publishers, USA, 2010.
- -, ‘Formalities of the Enforcement Procedure’ in Emmanuel Gaillard & Domenico Di Pietro (eds) Recognition and Enforcement of Arbitration Agreements and International Arbitral Awards – the New York Convention in Practice, (2008) Cameron May, pp 595 – 610.
- Emilia Onyema, “Online Commentary on Articles 45 and 46 of the Vienna Convention on the International Sale of Goods, 1980” (CISG) available on http://www.ccisg.org/
- -, The Role of the International Arbitral tribunal Secretary’, (2005) vol 2 Issue 3 Transnational Dispute Management, available at http://www.transnational-dispute-management.com/samples/toc.asp?key=8
- Emilia Onyema (2008), Introduction to International Commercial Arbitration, a workbook for the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, pp 1-77.
- Two co-authored chapters on “International Arbitration in West African States”, and country summary for Nigeria, in Lise Boseman, Arbitration in Africa: a practitioner’s guide, 2nd ed., Kluwer (submitted).
- Chapter on “Overview of Arbitration in Africa” in Gordon Blanke & Karim A. Youssef and Gordon Blanke (eds) International Commercial and Investment Treaty Arbitration in the Middle East and Africa: Topical Themes and Key Issues, Kluwer (submitted).
- Chapter on “Costs in International Arbitration: Synergy between civil and common law principles” in The Synergy and Divergence between Common law and Civil law in International Arbitration, edited by Nayla Comair Obeid and Stavros Brekoulakis, Kluwer (submitted).